What would a layer cake be without a custard filling? Since our cake is a Limoncello Coconut Cake, we’ll follow that theme through all components of this dessert.
Former Custard Pudding Filling Recipe
2 cups milk
1/3 cup sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
Vegan Recipe for Limoncello Coconut Custard
8 ounces coconut milk (from the can because it’s thicker than from the carton)
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch (organic to ensure no GMOs) or arrowroot
1/3 cup evaporated cane sugar (or slightly more depending on how sweet you like your custard)
3 tablespoons reduced limoncello*
- Mix all ingredients together in a saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to thicken and bubble.
- Stir and continue cooking for additional minute.
- Remove from heat and transfer to bowl.
- Cover with parchment paper or waxed paper and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours, or until cool and set, before assembling cake.
* Over low simmering heat, reduce limoncello to half its volume. Since I use the reduced limoncello in all three aspects of this cake and any unused portions store well in a glass jar, I reduce more than I need. You can use the rest to add to you tea, whether it’s hot or cold. But, I’m sure you can come with some other mighty good uses for the leftover reduction.
Please note: These recipes are originals that belong to Linda Voorhis. If using/sharing these recipes, please remember to do so with integrity, giving due credit.