Looking for something different to make with the season’s bounty of apples. Here’s a quick and easy recipe that is a great condiment atop your vegan protein, any vegetable, as part of a vegan cheese and cracker plate, but also atop your favorite vegan vanilla ice cream.
Don’t have Granny Smith apples…you just want to use an apple that is a good firm cooking apple. No apples…no problem. Make this will firm pears, fresh cranberries, or even small diced butternut squash. If in season, hard peaches or nectarines would be equally tasty and delightful.
6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and half-inch diced
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (2 oranges)
Zest from the 2 oranges
3/4 cup good cider vinegar
1 cup coconut sugar
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon chat masala (you can purchase this at any Indian grocer or online)
1 teaspoon whole dried mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
3/4 cup raisins
- Combine the apples, onion, orange juice, vinegar, coconut sugar, ginger, chat masala, mustard seeds, pepper flakes and salt and in a large saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 50 minutes to one hour, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Take off the heat and add the raisins.
- Set aside to cool and store covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.