This delicious recipe is a riff on my Italian grandmother’s Easter Rice Pie, which was laden with 3 pounds of ricotta and a dozen eggs, not to mention the extraordinary amount of sugar. I’ve veganified it, and added the dried fruit and chocolate chips. You can change it up into a savory dish by removing the sugar, fruit and chips, and adding chopped vegan deli slices and olives. Be creative with this one. It’s a great base that can show up in a variety of ways, both sweet and savory.
You can make it ahead, it is actually better when made the day before. You can serve it in a long baking pan or cut it into squares. Either way, your guests will be absolutely delighted with this dessert.
Rice Cake – An Easter Alternative
This is an easy recipe that is excellent for entertaining.
The Ingredients You Need For This Yummy Recipe Are As Follows:
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, separated
- 2 ounces vegan buttery spread
- 1 pound Kite Hill ricotta
- 2 cups unflavored yogurt
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 8 tablespoons Vegan Egg
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 6 ounces dried cherries
- 8 ounces mini dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 13-1/2”x8-3/4” glass baking dish.
- Cook rice in water and juice from the orange with a pinch of salt for 40 minutes, or until tender all water is absorbed. Removed from heat, stir in buttery spread, and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl using a hand or stand mixer, beat together the ricotta, yogurt, orange zest and juice, and Grand Marnier until well combined.
- Beat in sugar until well combined.
- Add Vegan Egg and flour, beating until well combined.
- Stir in cherries and chocolate chips.
- Stir in rice.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for one hour, or until set and toothpick comes out clean.