Looking for a way to use that garbanzo bean liquid (aka Aquafaba) that will impress everyone with little effort on your part? Well, do I have a recipe for you! Meringue Cookies – done the vegan way!
For the Meringue Cookies, All You Need Are the Following Ingredients:
- Aquafaba from one 15-ounce can of garbanzo beans, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup unrefined sugar (you can even use organic erythritol with equally stellar results for a zero calorie, zero glycemic index cookie)
- 2 teaspoons extract (vanilla, almond, coconut, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit
- Prepare 3-4 cookie sheets by lining them with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer with a large bowl and the whisk attachment, pour the aquafaba into the bowl and begin whipping the aquafaba at low speed, increasing to high speed.
- Continue beating until soft peaks begin to form. This should take 12-15 minutes.
- Slowly add the sugar until all combined.
- Whisk in the extract.
- Using a pastry bag with a large plain tip, extrude the meringue onto parchment-lined cookie sheets in rounds. With a moist finger, lightly press down any points that are created from releasing the pastry bag from the meringue on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 1-1/2 hours to 2 hours, until meringues are dried out and crispy on the outside.
- Remove from oven, remove the cookies from the parchment paper and place on a wire rack, allowing them to cook until they are dry and firm. This should take approximately 15 minutes to completely cool the cookies.
- Meringues will last in a tightly-sealed container for 2-3 days. If they begin to get a little soggy, you get refresh them by repeating the baking process for approximately 15-20 minutes.
Some Serving Ideas
- Serve atop poached pears with a chocolate drizzle.
- Create a meringue sandwich cookie by placing a small dollop of chocolate ganache, peanut butter ganache, or frosting in between two meringues.
- Reduce the sugar and add some very finely minced fresh herbs for a savory meringue to adorn grilled asparagus, or other vegetable.
- Crown an ice cream sundae instead of whipped cream.
- Cap off a pudding pie with an arrangement of meringue cookies. Do this just before serving, however, as to do so in advance will cause the meringues to start melting.
- Create an upscale Smores cookies by air frying a graham cracker topped with a piece of chocolate only long enough to soften the chocolate, then serve immediately with a meringue cookie crown.