All Cooking Demonstrations are facilitated by Linda Voorhis, Culinary Instructor and Master Vegan Lifestyle Coach and Educator.
All classes are hosted by Ahimsa Wellness, LLC, in a private kitchen at 5230 East Whisper Ridge (in Verde Santa Fe), Cornville, AZ 86325.
All classes are set to start at 4:00pm and end at approximately 6:00 PM.
To ensure that there is an ample amount of food for tasting, no walk-ins can be accepted.
Advance paid registrants only.
PAST CULINARY DEMONSTRATIONS
Monday, September 10, 2018 – Celebrating Outdoor Cooking
Using The Season’s Bounty to Create Delightful and Delicious Meals Outdoors
This class was held in Veganification’s BRAND NEW outdoor kitchen. Outdoor cookery is no longer just about grilling. Did you know that you can bake, roast, and sauté on your outdoor equipment? We used not only the standard grill but also some unique outdoor cooking equipment to create delectable dishes without heating up our indoor kitchens.
Monday, June 4th, 2018 – Veganification’s Homage to Julia Child
Ecole Des Gourmandes – Recipes for the Servantless American Cook
The highlights of the class were how to create (and savor for yourself) the mouthwatering, vegan version of the recipe that started it all for Julia Child when Judith Jones, Knopf editor, labored over the recipe and her stove— Boeuf Bourguignon, and life as it was known for Julia, Judith, the world, and this little 6-year-old girl living in West Paterson, New Jersey, was forever changed.
- Angosoda (Julia’s favorite drink)
- Coquilles St. Jacques À La Provencale (*218)
- Boeuf À La Bourguignonne (*315)
- Hollandaise (*79-85)
- Pommes de Terre À L’Huile (*541)
- Marrons Braisés (Braised Chestnuts) (*519)
- Cerise Amande Rosewater Clafoutis (*655)
*Page numbers for Julia’s original recipes in the book, “Mastering The Art of French Cooking”, by Julia Child, Louisette Bertholle, and Simone Beck; Alfred A Knopf 2009
Monday, May 7, 2018 – Retro Redos
Classics from the 1970’s with a Contemporary Veg Twist
With the height of the Women’s Liberation, mothers heading out of the house to create their own career paths, and the ‘Me’ generation, shortcuts in the kitchen became ‘the thing’. We’ll be revisiting and veganifying some of those noteworthy dishes. Do you remember the pantry item whose tag line was, “One pan, one pound, one happy family”? Oh, and that infamous baked good scene from “My Big Fat Greek Wedding”? Just a hint of what you’ll be enjoying in this class.
- Stuffed Artichokes
- “One Pan, One Pound, One Happy Family”
- Broccoli Quiche
- “It’s Better Than Fryin’ … And I Helped!”
- “I Am Not A Crook”
- What Is it? BUUUUUnt? Bunk? Bunt? It’s a Cake! – There’s a Hole in this Cake
Check out the full write-up and the great pictures from that class on the Retro Review!
Monday, April 9, 2018: – Comfort Foods, A Sentimental Journey
Food nostalgia at its best. This menu brought me immediately back to my childhood memories of a cold winter’s night gathered around the family dinner table enjoying this meal that was not only delicious but reminds me of a typical June Cleaver-prepared meal.
- Eggplant Parmigiana
- Corn Chowder
- Cajun-Inspired Meatloaf
- Smokey Kale and Potato Casserole
- Scalloped Vegetable Casserole
- Say WHAT! – Black Bean Brownies
Want a full review of what we ate? You can look at our pics from that night too! Check it out here!
Monday, March 5, 2018: Keeping It Under Wraps – A Trip Around the World Through the Eyes of a Wrap
We’ll be delighting in a variety of wraps, sweet and savory, that will remind us of worldly adventures with a few diversions here and there.
- Dolmas (Dolmades)
- Shumai Dumpling
- Sheeted Vegetable Cannolloni
- Potato Cheese Pirogi
- Chinese Egg-less Roll
- Spring Roll
- Bollo (Colombia / Humita (Bolivia) / Tamalè (Mexico
Interested in checking out how this class wrapped up (get it – wrap? – LOL!)? Check out the photos here!
Monday, February 5, 2018: Retro Redo’s – Updated Versions of 1960’s Classics Sure To Impress
Whether you are looking to strike up some romance this month or entertain family or friends, this class takes a trip back in time. We’ll be updating classic dishes with a modern and more healthy approach…without sacrificing any flavor, I promise!
Monday, January 8, 2018: New Year’s Resolution Diet Be Gone!: Wholesome & Hearty Dishes for a Sustainable & Healthy Lifestyle
Diet, deprivation, and defeat no more! We learned how to prepare meals that will be simple, satisfying, scrumptious, and sensory sensational. The Meal included:
- Refreshing Fruit Spritzers
- Spiralized Vegetable ‘Pasta’ with Thai Peanut Sauce
- Middle-Eastern-Style Carrots and Black-Eyed Peas over Wilted Spinach
- Tourlou – a.k.a. Greek Ratatouille
- Cauliflower & Tempeh “Fried Rice”
- Poached Pears with Meringue and Chocolate Drizzle
- Chocolate Sorbet
A delightful, sweet, creamy treat without any of the guilt!
Monday, December 4, 2017: Holiday Bookends – Savory Starts and Fragrant Finishes
Appetizers and desserts that are sure to impress your guests. These dished can all be made ahead and parked, ready to serve whenever you are so you can be the host(ess) with the most(est).
- Pomegranate Champagne/Persecco
- Chesapeake Bay Crabby Cakes with Horseradish Sauce
- Disaronno-Spiked Greens with Butternut Squash, Cranberries, & Slivered Almonds
- Burgundy Mushrooms En Croute
- Jalapeno Popper Hot Dogs
- Citrus Scented Rice Cake
- Mini Pumpkin Cakes with Spiced Buttercream
- Starter – Hot Rotel Cheese Dip with Crackers
- Finish – Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark
Monday, November 6, 2017: 1621 = First Thanksgiving – Fast Forward to 2017
Our Modern Day Thanksgiving Standards Updated with a Twist
Tired of serving the same-old, same-old every Thanksgiving? This class will shake up the Thanksgiving table paradigm with dishes that will be beautifully served and delectably devoured at your Thanksgiving table, using expected ingredients and some surprises.. Invited to celebrate at someone else’s home and need to bring a dish? No worries, this class will have you covered (as in ‘covered dish’).
- Brussels Sprouts and Mushrooms Au Gratin with Fried Shallots
- Orange Walnut Cranberry Sauce
- Roasted Celery, Leek & Potato Soup with Bacon and Scarborough Gremolata
- Roasted Chestnut Cornbread Stuffing
- Tri-Color Smashed Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Bourbon Meringue Pie (gluten-free crust)
- Pumpkin-Spiced Dirty Chai
Monday, October 2, 2017: Harvest Moon Celebration
Creative Dishes Highlighting the Bounty of Fall’s Harvest. Whether your rock to the beat of Neil Young’s “Harvest Moon” or swing to the tune of Laurel & Hardy’s rendition of “Shine on Harvest Moon”, we’ll be preparing familiar autumnal harvest ingredients in unique and delightful ways. Menu included:
- Spiced Apple Chutney
- Autumn Harvest Acorn Squash Sauce over Roasted Spaghetti Squash
- Moroccan-Spiced Roasted Root Vegetable Tart
- Jambaut Tamales
- Butternut Squash Coconut Curry Stew with Tempeh
- Pumpkin Pecan Chocolate Magic Bars
- Mulled Apple Cider
Monday, September 11, 2017: Taking a Trip Across The Pond – Afternoon Tea – 4:00 PM
Perfect Timing to Stop and Enjoy a true British Tea Often mistakenly referred to as “High” tea in other parts of the world, the British Afternoon tea is typified by tea with sandwiches, scones, and cake served on tiered platters. As we delight delicacies, both petite savories and sweet confections, we’ll learn the differences between the British Afternoon Tea and High Tea.
- Assam Gold Rain
- Earl Grey
- Tofu no-egg Salad with Watercress
- Coronation chicken
- Cranberry Walnut
- Chocolate Chip
- Scones Toppings
- Clotted Cream
- Black Cherry Chia Preserves
- Lavender Shortbread
- Mostly-Raw Devilishly-Dark Chocolate Cake Truffles